Need something to "indulge in" while you glue your eyes to your screen this weekend (sigh)? This spinach and artichoke dip is 100% vegan and nutrient-dense. It's loaded with healthy fats from the cashews, fiber from the artichokes and vitamins/minerals from the veggies. It's creamy, with a sharp and salty flavor. Eating it definitely puts a smile on my face - and these days, I think we could all use some more of that.
1 cup raw cashews
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups roughly chopped spinach
2 jars (170 g) artichokes hearts, drained
1/4 cup capers, drained
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 tbsp brown rice flour
2 tbsp almond milk
1. Soak the cashews in water overnight, or for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Drain and rinse the cashews. Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend in intervals of 15 seconds, scraping the sides down as necessary, for a total of 1 minute. You want the consistency to remain somewhat chunky.
5. Spoon into a 2 1/2 cup baking or casserole dish and let bake, uncovered, in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. Serve with corn chips or vegetables.
Tip: you can make this a day ahead; just prep the mixture but don't bake until ready!