Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice
Bacon and kimchi fried rice is a really easy Sunday morning breakfast or late-night snack. Whenever you’re craving something with a lot of depth and umami, this is for you. The secret is in the brown bits from the bottom of the pan from the bacon - they add tremendous flavour to the dish. Who doesn’t love the sound (smell) of crispy bacon, garlicky scallions, and fried rice with a bit of a crunch from coating the rice in an egg yolk. The recipe below serves 2, but you can add more rice or more kimchi and stretch it out a bit more - great for leftovers!
½ cup dried brown short grain rice, or whatever is left in your fridge!
4 thick slices of bacon
3 garlic cloves
2 green onions
½ - ¾ cups kimchi
1. Slice the bacon into thick chunks. Over medium high heat, fry in a pan until crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, slice the green onion (both the white and green parts). Slice the garlic thinly as well.
- Add 1 egg yolk to the rice, stirring it to coat completely.
- Remove the bacon and put in a bowl, reserving the grease in the pan. Add 2 eggs to the pan and quickly scramble. Once cooked remove the egg and add to the bacon bowl.
- Add the rice to the pan and begin to fry, scrapping the brown bits from the bacon off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the green onion, garlic, and kimchi. Stir everything together. Then add the egg and bacon back in, stirring once again.
- Serve with fresh green onion to top.